Rio Grande Bosque





 

The one constant I have said is that nature is everywhere and easy to get to in New Mexico. Hiking here does not have to be well thought out, and planned in advance. The fact that it can be an impulse decision and in under an hour you can find yourself at a trailhead. But even I was surprised to discover a state park with a nature center, and ample walking trails within Albuquerque, more specifically Los Ranchos. But that’s exactly what I discovered when I went and explored the Rio Grande Nature Center and Bosque walk. 

This is a very unexpected hike that you cannot miss. As Candaleria Road ends, turn right and you are in the parking lot here. $3.00 gets you access to the nature center, visitor center, and trails. Note that there is a side trail prior to the actual park entrance for bikes and dogs, but you are not allowed in the nature center if you choose that route. I paid the small fee and began exploring. Once you get to the Bosque there are a couple directions you can go. I chose the river walk because as always with me I head towards the Sandia. I feel I made the right decision. 

This particular hike takes you along the Rio Grande River, and at certain times you can break off to the side and be right on the edge of it. The trail is also full of cottonwood trees which would make it nicely shaded in the warmer seasons. The terrain was relatively smooth, and the trail well defined making this a great option for hikers of all skill levels. The walk back along the bosque/ditch was very calming listening to the running water. All in all, I hiked about 4 miles, but it can be shortened or extended based on how you feel. 

After crossing the bridge back, I decided to make the most of the parking fee and check out the visitor center, and glad I did. From the outside there are viewing areas letting guests see wildlife in the water with the Sandia as a backdrop. The wildlife is mostly geese, but there are also various ducks, and even certain species of turtles. The inside has a massive glass window with seats to see the same wildlife, but from the indoors. Also, there is a small gift shop, as well as a walk through on the history of the area, and what we can do to help preserve the area. 

Heading back to my car I noticed other areas near the parking lot that allowed guests additional views of wildlife as well as benches to sit on. This was a great find. It’s not often you find something very cheap that allows guests fresh air, exercise, great scenery, wildlife views, and an education of the area. This is a great place for hikers of any skill level, as well as families looking for an outing. Would I go back? Yes, it is easy to get to, and I know that there is so much more to explore within here that I only scratched the surface. 

To see photos of my adventures follow me on Instagram @the_nm_tx or tag me using #thenmtx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tap N Taco

Steel Bender Brewyard

Coffee Tasting